Clarke V. Filippi, DDS – Modesto & Central Valley CA
Scaling & Root Planing
The initial stage of treatment is usually a thorough cleaning that may include “scaling” to remove plaque and tartar deposits beneath the gum line.
The tooth roots may also be “planed” to smooth the root surface allowing the gum tissue to heal and reattach to the tooth.
Antibiotics or anti-microbial mouth rinses may be recommended to help control the growth of bacteria that create toxins and cause periodontitis.
When deep pockets between teeth and gums are present, it may difficult to thoroughly remove all the plaque and tartar. Patients can seldom, if ever, keep these pockets clean and free of plaque. Consequently, surgery may be needed to restore periodontal health.
Ready to have a bright healthy smile? Call our office today!
The bite is considered to be healthy when all or most of the teeth are present.
The bite may change or fail when teeth show wear, mobility or when TMJ (jaw joint) damage is seen. A less than “ideal” bite can contribute to periodontal disease by impairing oral hygiene and causing teeth to become loose. Bite therapy helps restore a bite that can function without damage and destruction. The therapy may include:
- Reshaping the biting surfaces of the teeth and eliminating spots of excessive pressures where the teeth are brought into contact. This is done by carefully dividing bite pressures evenly across all of the teeth.
- Bite splint therapy using a custom-fitted and adjusted plastic bite guard to keep the teeth apart, day, night, or both.
- Braces to reposition mal-aligned or drifted teeth.
- Replacement of old, worn out, or damaged fillings.
- Reconstruction of badly worn and damaged teeth.
- Replacement of missing teeth.